Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goodbye 2012

2012 was a mixed bag for our family.  We had some really great moments.  Wonderful, happy, breathtaking moments.  We also had some heartbreaking moments.  Utterly shocking and heartbreaking.  I have had a hard time deciding on how to classify 2012.  I am going to go with mixed bag.

In February, we welcomed Joseph home from a long, long deployment.  It was amazing to see him hold his little man again.  Watching Blake and Joseph get to know each other again was exciting.  Things had changed so much from a seven month old to a fifteen month old.  Diaper changes were entirely different.  Baths were both terrifying (for mommy) and a party at the same time.  Joseph had a lot to learn about the differences between a not-yet-crawling seven month old and a wild fifteen month old.  2012 has truly turned Blake from a Mommy's boy to a Daddy's boy.  He adores Joseph, and I am so glad to see that almost a year away did not cause any bonding issues. 

We have been on countless trips this year.  We have had so much family time.  It has been a drastic change from when Joseph was working at a busy, deploying unit.  That part of the year was great, and it was much needed.

Blake has grown from a baby one year old into a two year old little boy. He is talking in full sentences now. Watching that transformation is shocking.  How is it that my baby was struggling to walk this time last year, and he is now jumping, running, and climbing? How is that possible?

Of course, the year ended with struggles.  Miscarriage, D&C, laparoscopic surgery, another round of IVF...  The miscarriage was hard.  I never realized how hard miscarriages are.  Having a loss as late as Ethan and Jacob, people immediately understand how heartbreaking it is.  Miscarriage is such a different experience.  Such different emotions and expectations. 

Our IVF cycle was abnormally successful, which we are grateful for. Having ten embryos in the freezer means that we won't have to face IVF again.  That is a blessing that I never thought I would have.  We were happy with ONE frozen embryo from our last cycle.  Having ten is something I never dreamed we would have. 

2013 should be an interesting one.  We hope to have another baby in 2013.  Blake will be starting preschool.  Joseph is due for orders.  We are possibly facing an overseas move (Japan), selling or renting our house, a new unit, and a new unit's schedule.  My main resolution for this year is to relax.  No worrying about things out of my control... or at least not as much.

Happy New Year everyone.  I hope 2013 brings everything you wish for. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,
    I read your blog and you are my biggest source of inspiration. I too miscarried my twins(boy and a girl)after doing FET last June just a day after my b'day on the 23rd week. I too had bleeding from the beginning of my pregnancy and the doctors said its called Subchorionic Hematoma. I was hospitalized on the 22nd week when the sac of one of my babies broke and the other one was fine. I went into labor just a week after hospitalization.
    I have 8 frozen embroys left. However I am scared to go through this process of FET again. I have a few questions to ask,
    If I decide to do FET again my doctor said they will do a single embroy transfer,
    Did you take any special supplements in your second pregnancy to prevent the bleeding?
    What kind of treatment plan were you put in when pregnant the second time around?
    Did you have any bleeding problems in your second pregnancy?
    It would be very helpful to know as I had been through the same situation.

    Thanks
    Niru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. We did a single embryo transfer with Blake. I was terrified of getting pregnant with twins again. I didn't take anything to prevent bleeding. My RE said that it is something that just happens. It is much more common in IVF/FET pregnancies. I did have bleeding with Blake's pregnancy as well. It wasn't as large as with the twins, and it cleared quickly. It was obviously terrifying though.
      For Blake's pregnancy, I was monitored really well. From weeks 15-28 I had cervical ultrasounds to measure my cervix length every other week. I also had weekly p-17 shots to keep my uterus from contracting. Those shots are what I contribute to going full term. I will do them in any future pregnancies. At 28 weeks, I started 2x a week non-stress tests to monitor for contractions or issues with Blake.

      Good luck with everything. My Peri said that my chances of having that happen again were 20% with Blake. Now that I have carried a baby to term, it's much, much lower. Please keep me updated!!! I will be cheering for you to have a long, long pregnancy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    Thanks for the reply, its very informative. I shall definitely keep you posted. I hope this year brings additional joy to our families.
    I really appreciate your support and very moved by it.
    My hugs to Blake
    Take care
    Niru

    ReplyDelete