Thursday, September 13, 2012

Three

Where has time gone? It has been three years since our angels were born.  Three years since I held Jacob's little body.  Three years since I sat in the NICU begging God to make this OK.  Three years since we walked out of Bethesda empty handed and into our home full of baby things.

Three years ago, right now my world was ending.  My world was crashing down, and I wasn't sure we were going to recover from it.  I was struggling to breathe, move, talk. Basic necessities to live were a struggle. 

Three years ago, I was living my nightmare. 

After Ethan and Jacob passed away someone told me, "It never stops hurting, you just get use to the pain".  I think I am adjusting to the pain.  This year was the first year I was not a blubbering mess.  Three years to get to the point of being able to function on September 13th.  The first year, I was a few weeks post C-section.  Between it being the first birthday of my angels, hormones from having Blake, and sleep deprivation.... I was a hot mess.  Last year my husband was deployed, and I was at home alone with a 12 month old. 

This year was easier.  I don't know why.  I was just more focused on remembering them, instead of focusing on the pain and surviving. 

As we do every year, we let balloons go for Ethan and Jacob.  Blake and I went to the party supply store today, and he picked out the colors of their three balloons each.  He picked green, orange, and red.  We let them go tonight.  Blake let three of them go, one-by-one.  His two year old brain became bored with letting the rest go, so we did it.  Much to our surprise, Blake burst into tears after the balloons were gone.  He was quite upset that they were gone.  Maybe next year he will understand the balloon concept better!




This was taken about 10 seconds before he started crying.  He was quite upset that the balloons were gone. 

3 comments:

  1. Day by day, Lady. That's all you can do. I am glad you are finding peace, a way to coexist with the memories of Jacob and Ethan. I pray that each September continues to bring you more joy and less sorrow as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. xoxoxxoxoxoxoxo to you friend....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to your blog. Saturday will be 3 months since our Ethan was born sleeping. I love how you have involved Blake in the balloon release. I am trying to make sure that our son, Aaron who is almost two, knows he has a little brother similar to how you have involved Blake. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete